Guilt-Free Chocolate Coconut bars! What more could a girl want? I love this recipe. These are made with 6 natural ingredients rather than the mammoth 14 INGREDIENTS they squeeze into Bounty bars from the store. They are dairy, gluten, soy and nut free too which the commercial ones are definitely not (somehow they have put peanuts in a coconut bar??)!
I hope you like them as much as I do…
Love and chocolate,
- 250ml of organic coconut cream
- 1 cup of organic desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of maple syrup or agave syrup
- Chocolate to coat- I use raw chocolate, from the Guilt-Free Chocolate Guide which is super healthy and easy to make (3 ingredients!). Register above to get a copy. Or you can use any favourite chocolate melted. Dark is best, because it’s strong and better for you.
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut cream and oil on a very low temperature. Add the syrup and stir until the oil and syrup are integrated with the cream. Then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Remove the pan from the stove. Put the desiccated coconut in a bowl and slowly pour the cream mixture in, stirring as you go. Don’t put it all in at once. Give the coconut time to absorb the cream and make sure you’re left with a doughy consistency, not a watery one. If you need to, add some more desiccated coconut.
- Prepare a tin or container by greasing it and lining it with paper. Pour the mixture in evenly, at least 3cm deep.
- Cover it with foil or a lid and put it in the freezer to set for an hour.
- Check it after an hour and if it is firm, remove it from the container and cut it into bars or squares, whatever you like! Put the cut pieces back in the freezer to set for half an hour (overnight is fine too).
- Finally, make your chocolate, or melt store-bought chocolate in a small deep bowl. One by one, drop your frozen coconut bars into the middle of the bowl and turn them over on to each side. When coated, lift them out with a fork.
- Place them on a tray lined with baking paper and put them in the fridge to set!
- They won’t take long to set, but depending on how frozen your coconut is, you might want to give them 15 minutes at least to soften. These are so delicious, they didn’t last a day at our place! I hope you love them! Let me know how you go on the facebook page, you can send me messages too if you have questions. Enjoy!