This quick and easy pizza base is perfect for vegans, vegetarians, paleo eaters and everyone else who wants a healthy, nutritious alternative to an everyday white flour based pizza. And the best bit? It’s delicious!
Chia seeds boast a wonderful nutritional load of omega 3 and omega 6 as well as being a good source of protein and calcium. You can vary the seeds you add to this recipes, only add the ones you like 🙂 Sunflower seeds give you magnesium, potassium and zinc. Pumpkin seeds are a wonderful source of manganese, zinc and calcium. You could also add pine nuts, hemp seeds, sesame or poppy seeds. It’s up to you!
Top with goat’s cheese, pesto and pumpkin. Or vegan cheese, tomato paste with roasted garlic, sweet potato and red peppers. Your options and endless! Mine in the picture has red peppers/capsicum, goat’s fetta, homemade basil pesto and fresh spring onions after cooking. The above pizza is half of the base recipe.
What I like the most about this recipe is that it adds a nutty flavour to your pizza, and that it is so fast and mess free! Being gluten free, dairy free, nut free, vegan, yeast-free, grain-free and egg-free (phew! that’s a lot of frees) means that you’ll be hard-pressed to find someone who can’t eat it. Which makes it perfect for dinner parties!! And who doesn’t like pizza?
Ok here’s the how-to…
- 1/2 cup of Chia Seeds
- 1/3 cup of buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 3 tablespoons of chopped seeds of your choice ( pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, poppy)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil or oregano
Up to you! See above for ideas
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a large baking tray with baking paper
2. Combine all pizza base ingredients in a bowl. Stir through and leave to sit for 5 minutes. The chia seeds will expand and bind the mixture.
3. Spread the mixture on to your baking tray in a square or circle, up to you! (I like square pizzas 🙂 ) or you can split it into two smaller pizzas comfortably.
4. Bake in the oven with NO TOPPING for approximately 30 minutes. Remove when the centre is firm.
5. Add topping and return to oven for 10 – 15 minutes (depends on topping chosen. Watch it after 10)
Perfect for a last minute dinner party and so much easier than waiting for dough to rise, this pizza is a great addition to your weekly meals. It’s also delicious cold and travels well for a leftovers lunch! Bon appétit Guilt-Free Foodies!
Love and pizza,