If you go to any restaurant today, it is almost impossible not to find Brussels sprouts on the menu. They’re available either as a main dish or a side dish. And they have become the new rock star in restaurants that also serve veggies. Brussels sprouts are usually delicious and this is the main reason why they have become so popular among vegetarians. As such, they are a pricey dish.
But you can prepare them in minutes from your kitchen space. And to pull this off, you will need a recipe. You can use this Brussels sprouts America’s test kitchen recipe to cook delicious veggies for your guests at a dinner party. So, be sure to read on for more information.
Brussels Sprouts America’s test kitchen Recipe
- 1 pound of trimmed and halved Brussels sprouts, small-sized
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Place the Brussels sprouts in a skillet, with the cut sides facing down. You want to make sure that the Brussels sprouts are placed in a single layer so their cut sides can get perfect browning. Also, be sure to use a 12-inch non-stick coated skillet.
- Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil over the Brussels sprouts then cover the skillet with a tight-closing lid. Place the skillet over medium-high heat and cook the sprouts for about 5 minutes. The Brussels sprouts will have a bright green color with their cut sides having an excellent browning once the 5-minute time is up.
- Uncover the 12-inch skillet and continue cooking the Brussels sprouts for 3 more minutes. After the 3 minutes have elapsed, the sprouts will be soft and a paring knife will slide through with little to no resistance. At this point, you should move the Brussels sprouts around to prevent the cut sides from over-browning.
- Off heat the Brussels sprouts and serve them with lemon juice and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Alternatively, you could prepare a roasted Brussels sprouts. Sautéing the sprouts is a great way of preparing these veggies but some people might just love to try out a new cooking technique. And to do this, obviously, you’re going to need a recipe for it.
So, the first thing you want to do is to make sure that your Brussels sprouts are in the right sizes. And for this, you will need to cut larger sprouts in halves and leave smaller sprouts whole. Then, you will need to trim and chop off woody stems that might be dry and cause your sprouts to be bitter. You should make sure that your Brussels sprouts are in the same sizes for a crispy roasted result.
Next, you will season the Brussels sprouts. And for this stage, you are going to drizzle olive oil over them and sprinkle a generous pinch of salt and pepper over them. You will place the sprouts in a parchment-lined baking sheet, making sure that the cut sides are facing down. Also, you want to make sure that they are in an even layer for a perfect cooking result. Your sprouts will have a perfect browning on the cut sides and their exposed leaves will have a crisp texture if you place them this way.
And now, it is time to bake those Brussels sprouts. Put the sheet pan with the sprouts inside a 425-degree oven and bake the veggies for 30 minutes! By the time the 30-minute timer will be up, your sprouts will be tender and have a perfect golden-brown color that makes it look delicious. And that pretty much it!
Suggestion for serving Brussels sprouts
If you are looking to get Mediterranean baked Brussels sprouts, you can squeeze some lemon wedge over the sprouts. Then, you can add red pepper flakes on top for coloring the veggies and spicing them up. And for more intense lemon flavor, be sure to add some grated lemon zest to the baked Brussels sprouts.
And there is a way that you could make roasted Brussels sprouts even tastier. For this part, you can begin by lightly drizzling toasted sesame seed oil over the warm, roasted Brussels sprouts. Or, you could just add some teriyaki sauce over the sprouts. Then, finish things off with either white or black sesame seeds and remember to add some pepper flakes for a spicy kick!
You could also have some Thai roasted Brussels sprouts from your ordinary kitchen space. And to have your sprouts this way, you are going to serve them with peanut sauce on the side and lime wedges. And you will also add some pepper flakes for coloring and spicing the sprouts up!
Lastly, you could also have Middle Eastern roasted Brussels sprouts. And in this case, you are going to need tahini sauce for a spicy result. So, what you will do is simple – you will swoosh some tahini over a serving plate and then serve some sprouts on top. Then, you will sprinkle some sesame seeds over the Brussels sprouts.
To have a delicious meal, you can serve Brussels sprouts with risotto. Or, you could top the sprouts onto a grain bowl. You also have the option of adding them to any hearty fall salad. It all depends on what you desire from your Brussels sprouts.
If you are a vegetarian, eating Brussels sprouts could tremendously transform your diet. Besides, you can eat Brussels sprouts as a side dish or have it as your main dish. It all depends on your choice and what you are looking to make the sprouts to be. And to cook the sprouts, you are going to need a recipe.
Fortunately, we at America’s test kitchen have shared with you a recipe that could help you reap the nutritional benefits of the Brussels sprouts. What’s more, we have shared two cooking methods to help you get the most out of these tasty and delicious veggies. So, be sure to try our recipe and prepare Brussels sprouts the right way.