To most people, non-stick pans are unsafe, healthy-threatening and a throwaway tool. This is a popular misconception, as most of these pans no longer contain harmful substances such as Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), commonly called Teflon.
That isn’t the only misconception around non-stick pans. Most people think this cookware isn’t oven safe. But actually, they are oven safe and go under your broiler without any mishaps. While our thoughts are usually negative about these pans, they offer lots of incredible benefits from easy cleanup to quick food release, less oil usage and lots more.
We understand your concerns, so we tested various options and expertly handpicked the best non-stick pans to allow you to make healthy pancakes for your kids or whip up a weeknight dinner.
What is a non-stick pan?
Non-stick cookware, like saucepans and frypans, featured a coating material commonly called Teflon (polytetrafluoroethylene, PTFE). This synthetic chemical has fluorine and carbon atoms. Teflon was used to create a non-stick, nonreactive and nearly frictionless surface.
The non-stick surface offers easy cleanup and convenient use. Also, it requires only a little butter or oil, which is a healthy way to fry and cook your foods. Teflon has a wide range of other applications like making cable and wire coating, carpet and fabric protectors, raincoats, and many more.
However, there have been some health concerns with these pans, which were previously used to produce non-stick cookware, especially when overheated.
Reviews of Best Nonstick Pans America’s test kitchen, Food & Wine, Wire Cutter, Consumer Reports
America’s Test Kitchen & Cooks Illustrated
According to America’s Test Kitchen & Cooksillustrated, here are the top rated best non-stick pans out there:
Top 1 – T-Fal E93805 Professional Total Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Fry Pan
Topping the list of the best non-stick pans is T-Fal E93805 Professional Total Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Fry Pan. This model features a scratch-resistant non-stick interior coating and a thick induction base to distribute heat evenly.
Further, it is equipped with Thermo-Spot Technology to indicate when the cookware is perfectly preheated before you start cooking. T-fal E93805 Fry Pan has riveted silicone handles for easy and secure handling. This product is designed for safety and comfort.
Next, it’s oven safe up to 400 degrees F. plus, its dishwasher compatibility design allows a convenient cleanup after cooking. Aside from its ultra-convenience and exceptional versatility, this unit has a vented tempered-glass lid with cool-touch handles to trap moisture and heat while monitoring the cooking process with ease.
- Features Thermo-Spot heat-indicator technology
- oven safe up to 400 degrees F
- Incredible versatility
- Super convenient to use
- Anti-warp protection
- Not safe for use with a metal utensil
Top 2 – OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Dishwasher safe 12″ Open Frypan
This is arguably the best 8/10/12-inch non-stick skillet. OXO Good Grips Non-Stick 12″ Open Frypan is the highest rated non-stick frypan by Cook’s Illustrated. It has an incredibly durable, hard-anodized body for scratch-free experience and unrivalled heat conduction.
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick 12″ Open Frypan features three layers of non-stick coating to deliver long-lasting performance without using much oil. This pan has comfortable stainless steel handles for secure and easy maneuvering.
What’s more? It features rolled edges to allow drip-free pouring and oven safe up to 430 degrees F. Keep in mind that this non-stick pan is compatible with most stovetops, except the induction stovetop. Even better, this pan is accompanied by a limited lifetime warranty to ensure every customer’s satisfaction.
- Dishwasher safe
- Three-layer non-stick coating
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Sturdy hard-anodized construction
- Not compatible for induction
Top 3 – Kyocera Ceramic Nonstick Fry Pan
Are you looking to purchase the best 12-inch ceramic non-stick skillets? Kyocera Ceramic Nonstick Fry Pan should be on top of the list. This product has a superior non-stick cooking surface allowing users to cook at the low or medium flame with superheat retention and even distribution. Plus, they are oven safe up to 400 degrees F.
This model sports a ceramic-coated ceramic non-stick surface to deliver an outstanding searing capability and impressive versatility to let you flash-cook vegetables, fry tempura or make a hassle-free stir-fry.
Here’s more: Kyocera Ceramic Nonstick Fry Pan features durable construction for outstanding performance. This pan rocks a durable, riveted stainless steel handle for comfortable use. Its ceramic non-stick coating delivers quick food release and easy cleanup.
- Even heat distribution
- Suitable for gas, electric, ceramic and induction stoves
- Durable, riveted handles
- Oven-safe up to 400° F
- The non-stick coating is not very durable.
Top 4 – T-fal Dishwasher Safe Cookware Fry Pan with Lid Hard Anodized Titanium Nonstick
America’s Test Kitchen & Cooksillustrated includes another non-stick cookware from T-Fal for those looking to splurge on a true workhorse. This product features hard-anodized aluminum construction, which helps retain perfect heat and provide a better protective layer to prevent corrosion and scratches. Also, this cookware does not react to acidic foods.
Further, this model is equipped with patented Thermo spot technology to notify you when the pan is properly preheated and ready to cook. In addition, it features an anti-wrap heat base and a durable toxic-free non-stick interior for easy cleanup.
Not only that, T-fal Dishwasher Safe Cookware Fry Pan has riveted silicone handles and includes a vented lid to maintain visibility while trapping enough moisture and heat for satisfactory results. Except for the induction stovetop, this pan works well for all stovetops.
- Durable non-stick interior
- Features Thermo spot indicator
- Easy to clean
- Dishwasher safe
- Lifetime limited warranty
- Although the manufacturer claims to be oven up to 400 degrees F, it’s best to use below this temperature.
Top 5 – Ozeri 8″ Earth Frying Pan
Unlike most models, Ozeri 8″ Earth Frying Pan uses a stone-derived coating, which is free of PFOS, GenX, PFBS, APEO, and PFOA. This eco-friendly pan provides superior non-stick performance without exposing you to the risk of these controversial chemicals.
Again, this cookware’s hardened scratch-resistant coating makes cleaning this pan a breeze. Ozeri 8″ Earth Frying Pan has a magnetized base, which makes it compatible with induction stoves. The manufacturer boasts of a comfortable heat-resistant silicone-coated handle with three solid rivets for secure and easy handling.
Lastly, this model is constructed using a heavy-gauge aluminum core to deliver even, fast cooking without cold or hot spots.
- Excellent build quality
- Long-lasting non-stick coating
- Easy to clean
- hardened scratch-resistant coating
- Contradictory product description
Top 6 – Cuisinart 622-30G Chef’s Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 12-Inch Skillet
Another excellent non-stick pan is the Cuisinart 622-30G 12-Inch Skillet. This skillet is made of hard-anodized, making it dense, highly wear-resistant, and nonporous for professional performance and extra durability.
It rocks a titanium-reinforced Quantanium non-stick interior to deliver healthier non-fat cooking options, quick food release, and hassle-free cleanup. This pan has a cool grip handle with solid stainless steel riveted stick handles, ensuring it stays cool to offer a solid grip when cooking.
Also, it’s accompanied by a limited lifetime warranty to offer buyers peace of mind. Cuisinart 622-30G 12-Inch Skillet is oven safe up to 500 degrees F. The rim is tapered to make pouring drip and mess-free.
- Easy cleanup
- Sloped sides for a maximum cooking surface
- Metal utensil safe
- Cool Grip handle
- Tend to last for about two years
Food & Wine
Here are Best New Nonstick Pans from Food & Wine:
Calphalon Unison Nonstick 3 Quart Saute Pan
Calphalon Unison Nonstick 3 Quart Saute Pan is arguably the best new non-stick pans on the market. This model features a specially-textured Sear Nonstick cooking surface for quick food release and seal in flavours. It’s crafted from heavy-gauge hard-anodized aluminum and has a flat bottom for searing and browning.
This unit sports a superior-smooth, PFOA-free non-stick coat to deliver professional results. Its heavy-duty construction offers even heating and stands up with everyday use. This cookware comes with a Stay-Cool long handle offering a comfortable and secure hold while cooking on the stovetop to ensure users cook with confidence.
On top of that, Calphalon Unison Nonstick 3 Quart Saute Pan can be tossed into the dishwasher for quick and easy cleanup. It’s backed by a full lifetime warranty to offer buyers peace of mind.
- Dishwasher safe
- Heavy-duty construction
- Premium non-stick coating
- Full lifetime warranty
- Not metal utensil safe
The Wirecutter’s top 4 best non-stick pans picks:
Top 1. Tramontina 80114/535DS Professional Aluminum Nonstick Fry Pan
The Tramontina Professional Restaurant Fry Pans are built to adapt to non-commercial and home use without breaking down due to daily use rigours. This pan is perfect for searing, sauteing, scrambling, and frying your favourite recipes.
This pan features heavy-gauge aluminum construction for even and quick heat distribution. Plus, its reinforced non-stick interior offers easy food release for effortless cooking and cleanup. Tramontina Professional Restaurant Fry Pans have a cast stainless steel handle, which is riveted for extra support and ultra-convenient handling on your stove.
Equally, there’s a removable, silicone soft-grip to offer impressive maneuverability and versatility. This fry pan is compatible with ceramic, gas, and electric cooktop. Plus, it’s oven-safe up to 400 degrees F.
- Lifetime warranty
- Works with gas, electric and ceramic glass
- Oven safe up to 400 degrees F
- Features commercial-grade 3004 heavy-gauge aluminum construction.
- Not compatible with an induction stovetop
Top 2. All-Clad E785S264/E785S263 10-Inch Fry Pan Cookware Set
This product is a complete set, including 8 and 10-inch fry pans with a low-profile shape and wide flat base. However, this set does not include a lid to help trap heat and moisture.
Nonetheless, it sports a hard-anodized aluminum construction to ensure quick, uniform heat distribution and hassle-free cleanup. Thanks to the stainless steel bond base, this unit won’t wrap and works well with your induction stove.
Further, this cookware set features a scratch-resistant, PFOA-free non-stick coating allowing users to cook with less fat for healthier meals. More so, there’s a stainless steel handle with ergonomic handles to offer a comfortable hold. Also, it’s firmly secured with stainless steel rivets.
Even better, All-Clad E785S264/E785S263 10-Inch Fry Pan Cookware Set is oven safe up to 500 degrees F and backed by a limited lifetime warranty to protect your investment.
- Compatible with all cooktops
- Thick-gauge hard-anodized aluminum
- Three-layer of professional-grade PFOA-free non-stick
- Quick cleanup
- Hand wash is recommended.
Top 3. Ozeri Frying, Skillet, Chef Pan Nonstick
Another decent option is Ozeri Frying, Skillet, Chef Pan. This 10-inch fry pan offers a long-lasting non-stick coating without APEO and PFOA. The coating is scratch-resistant and offers easy cleanup. This made-in-USA pan is eco friendly to deliver unprecedented non-stick performance.
More importantly, this pan is made of high quality TriPly construction and has a comfortable heat-resistant stainless steel handle. Plus, it has three solid rivets that offer better secure handling. The exterior rocks a polished mirror exterior. Ozeri Frying Chef Pan works well with your induction stove for rapid heat transfer thanks to its magnetized base.
- Scratch-resistant coating
- Eco-friendly design
- High quality 18/8 stainless steel with TriPly construction
- Polished mirror exterior
- Not advisable to use under high heat
Consumer Reports considered dozens of pans and picked the best non-stick pans for you.
All-Clad 4110 NS R2 Non-Stick Fry Pan
This is another fry pan from All-Clad. It features three layers of non-stick coating to ensure effortless food release and hassle-free cleanup. This top choice by Consumer reports features a versatile low-profile shape and a wide flat base.
Further, its three-ply bonded construction delivers durable stainless steel, which encapsulates the aluminum core to ensure uniform heating. This unit sports contoured stainless steel handles with stainless steel rivets for comfort grip and secure handling.
More importantly, it is accompanied by a limited lifetime warranty and oven safe up to 500 degrees F.
- Thick aluminum core for efficient heat transfer
- Anti Warp resistant
- Oven safe up to 500 degrees F
- Made in the USA
- The non-stick coat tends to peel off.
Swiss Diamond Nonstick Fry Pan
The Swiss Diamond Nonstick Fry Pan features a cast aluminum core for rapid heat transfer. This pan won’t warp, and its flat base delivers even heat distribution. It has three layers of PFOA-free non-stick coating for easy food release and hassle-free cleanup experience.
The manufacturer opted for diamond-reinforced non-stick cookware, which allows searing and browning with excellent results. Also, its enhanced formula delivers incredible cooking performance and improved durability.
Likewise, the Swiss Diamond Nonstick Fry Pan is oven-safe up to 500 degrees F and has a stay-cool ergonomic handle for a comfortable grip and safe handling.
- Stay-cool handles for a comfortable grip.
- Cast aluminum construction
- Diamond-reinforced non-stick coating
- Superior heat conduction
- The non-stick coating does not last.
Anolon Smart Stack Hard Anodized Nonstick Frying Pan Set
Last but not least is Anolon Smart Stack Nonstick Frying Pan Set. This set contains an 8.5-inch and 10-inch non-stick frying pan. These pans boast of a sapphire-reinforced infinity slide non-stick coating that offers long-lasting performance.
On top of that, these non-stick frying pans sport a hard-anodized aluminum construction for quick heat up and even distribution to get rid of hot or cold spots. Furthermore, each piece is dishwasher safe for convenient cleanup. Thanks to its double-riveted stainless steel handles, this pan is easy to maneuver and comfortable to hold.
- Space-saving design
- Easy to clean
- Durable construction
- Optimal non-stick performance
- Handles are a bit short.
The Nonstick Coatings Were Really Good?
Most non-stick pans feature polytetrafluoroethylene coating, commonly called Teflon. This coating is believed to be toxic and considered unsafe to use. However, new pans are offering a non-stick experience without using Teflon.
Types of non-stick coatings
- Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) Coating: is the oldest non-stick coating, but studies have shown that PTFE poses some health risk, especially when overheated.
- Ceramic coating: this is an alternative to PFOA or PTFE coating. It’s made from a unique blend of clay and silica. Another thing about ceramic coating is its leach-free characteristics.
- Silicone Non-stick Coating
- Silicon is obtained from silica to create a flexible non-stick coating, which is common in most kitchen utensils. This coating does not release fumes and is non reactive to alkaline foods.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Nonstick Pans
- Number of pieces: some products are available in different piece options. It’d best to consider a set with at least an 8-inch non-stick fry pan for small meals such as pancakes and eggs. But for people looking to cook large servings, you should consider a set with a 10-inch fry pan.
- Size and weight: cookwares with midweight would be the best bet. Heft pans can be difficult to handle, and the lightweight version heats up too quickly. Plus, the cookware should feature a space-saving design for easy storage.
- Handles: some pans have silicone-wrapped handles that feel comfortable in your hands and protect you from burning your handles. Also, handles can offer extra balance when lifting the pan.
- Oven and dishwasher: if you hate spending extra time cleaning up, then pans compatible with the dishwasher is the go-to. However, if you love to scrub your cookware, fry pans with hard anodized metal are your best bet.
How They Test
- Tested the non-stick coating for effectiveness right out of the box
- How quickly do the non-stick pans heat up, and how well does it distribute heat evenly?
- What kind of material make up the non-stick coating for safe and healthy meals
- How easy is cleaning the pan and longevity of the non-stick coating
We’ve considered the best non-stick pan according to Food and Wine, Wirecutter, America’s Test Kitchen, and Consumerreports. Hopefully, you find that non-stick pan that brings magic to your kitchen.
- The Best Pastry Bags or Piping Bags of 2021
- Viking 13-Piece Tri-Ply Copper Cookware Set Review
- Cuisinart Mcp-12n MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set Review
- Circulon Premier Professional 13-Piece Hard Anodized Cookware Set Review
- J.A. Henckels International 3-Piece Capri Granitium Nonstick Fry Pans Review